Re: [squid-users] H/W requirement for Squid to run in bigger scene like ISP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:02:35 +0200

On mån, 2008-07-14 at 02:25 -0700, bijayant kumar wrote:

> In my observations since Squid is a single threaded(not a multithread)
> s/w, so there is no need to use dual/quad core processor, and RAM is
> also not very important factor because somewhere i read, "10MB RAM for
> every 1 GB of cache space on disk". So RAM is also ok. I will use 4-8
> GB RAM and it should be fine. I think i am going/thinking into right
> direction. Please suggest me, what should be the H/W requirement for
> the server where you can expect 1200-1500 concurrent connection to the
> squid at a time.

dual core may be a benefit, but more cores than 2 is a waste at this
time. Not much (in fact nothing) has changed in that regard since
Squid-2.5 mentioned earlier..

Remember to load a 64-bit os if you have (or plan to) more than 3GB of
RAM as otherwise you will run into per-process hardware memory
limitations.

Most important for performance is
- Sufficient amount of RAM
- Several harddrives.

Squid is a very seek & random writes intensive application and only low
to modest requirements on disk I/O bandwitdh. The seek time of the
harddrives very quickly becomes a bottleneck in forward proxy setups.
(note: often not as visible until the cache is filled and Squid is
recycling space).

Dual core with 6 harddrives is probably a very good configuration. Using
either the drives as just drives, or with a battery backed up RAID
controller.

The battery backup is more for performance than reliability in this case
as it allows the raid to schedule writes in a much more optimal manner..

I usually build with just a bunch of drives, using software raid-1 for
the OS+logs and no raid for the cache, and some automated scripts taking
actions should a drive fail. But as usual it depends a bit on your
uptime and ease of service requirements.