[squid-users] Newbie question on Squid Reverse Proxy configuration

From: aspasia <aspasia.sf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:04:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

Apologize, am a newbie to web2.0 architecture and squid cache (am storage
and infrastructure not architecture); I was asked to prepare a test
environment to just validate ability of SQUID application to "connect" to a
type of storage.

I read through a plethora of SQUID FAQs and Apache as well as concepts on
Cache, proxy, web cache, etc.....

I would like to validate my assumptions and questions since I have no one
else to discuss this who is familiar with the application architecture:

1. in reverse proxy configuration - if we think of it in simple terms,
would it be safe to say, usually the architecture of Reverse Proxy config
is:

hostA - 192.168.17.1 -- Squid Reverse server
hostB - 192.168.17.2 -- http server --> /vol0/www-> storage

so that if:
a. Client from outside accesses a URL - http://192.168.17.2 (which is the
http server's URL)
b. goes into internet cloud
3. hostB - Proxy/Cache server - intercepts and checks - if in cache, if in
cache responds back to client
4. If not in cache, proceeds to contact hostB (192.168.17.2) which fetches
data from storage and returns to hostA
5. hostA responds to client and updates cache.

The above is simplistic, but that is how I envision reverse proxy.

Here's my question - I have been tasked to test the ability of the
Proxy/Cache server - to BYPASS the http server, and have the ability to
directly connect to storage that stores web content/data - is this
configuration possible?

Would it be possible to configure Squid Reverse Proxy's squid.conf file - so
that it directly accesses

a- cache_dir - to store its cache
b- storage repository - that stores web contents

Would there be a comprehensive URL or link that shows the various possible
ways of configuring Squid proxy - cache, transparent, etc ... and details a
flow of how http requests and content are processed?

I apologize for the naive question, but I am a bit lost ..

thanks in advance.

- aspasia.

So in the above proxy sits in between the internet and the web server