[squid-users] Invalid Request with Mozilla Firefox 2

From: Paul Wratt <paul.wratt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:45:26 +1000

Howsit, I have seen only one error on the list that I would consider
identical to this, but that was a squid-cache log and contains some
other errors too.

NOTE: I do NOT have access to the squid server or service, however if
I can get the exact technical details of why it is happening, I can
override, or at least test over-riding, the form properties

one web browser on a OSX, will not POST for data, and sometimes GET
data. Below is from the search page at squid-cache.org. Safari works
fine on the same machine, there are Windows IE6 & FF2 on the same
network that also work fine, and I use a linux laptop with KHTML, FF2,
and Opera 9, which also use the same proxy, though through a different
part of the network.

I should also not that the 1st web page I check about ACCEPT-ENCODING,
had a rather complex js inline form submit function, which may have
been AJAX, anyway it was heavily scripted, and DID submit (without
adding to the back button..)

Now, what I kneed to know is the technical details of what is causing
"malformed form data", as Henrick called it, to be sent to squid, and
whether or not it has anything to do with squid NOT allowing
"accept-encoding:gzip" from ANY browser.

I should be able to "clean up" the form properties with some HTML
wizidary & JavaScript magic, and possibly generate a client side
header (if that is required). Is it possible that there is an
intermediary response from the server, that can cause the reply from
squid to balk, maybe FF & Apache combined are causing the failure,
like a missing or malformed header of some kind.

I have done a bit of research on this today, about 4 hours+ ATM, and
there was only that one other post, but Henrick did not discuss the
error I have, except to imply some form data looked to be "outside"
even the error reply. I though maybe cookies with illegal characters
might be the cause, but as you can see, the following didn't have any
(supposedly).

I may be able to "fix" this via some tricky server side code,
pre-header the page as it were, but I need technical details to get
that far. Or is there a way to get more technical data out of the
squid error page or something like that..

.. anyway ..

========
ERROR

While trying to process the request:

POST /cgi-bin/swish-query.cgi HTTP/1.0
Host: www.squid-cache.org
Accept-Encoding: identity,deflate
Referer: http://www.squid-cache.org/cgi-bin/swish-query.cgiProxy-Connection:
keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Max-Forwards: 10
Connection: Keep-Alive

The following error was encountered:

    * Invalid Request

Some aspect of the HTTP Request is invalid. Possible problems:

    * Missing or unknown request method
    * Missing URL
    * Missing HTTP Identifier (HTTP/1.0)
    * Request is too large
    * Content-Length missing for POST or PUT requests
    * Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed

Your cache administrator is webmaster.
Generated Sat, 19 Jul 2008 03:22:00 GMT by latrobe.slv.vic.gov.au
(squid/2.7.STABLE2)

========

I do not mind posting this some place else, if this requires too
technical an answer for this list, as long as someone can tell me
where, just remember that i do not have access to squid or its server,
however I may be able to request a "minor fix" be performed on the, on
behalf of the organization itself (its a library) .. (I would prefer
not to hack their server.. )

Paul