Re: [squid-users] Squid in the Enterpise

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja_at_bogus.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:00:44 -0700

Robert V. Coward wrote:
> I agree. But we have infrastructure problems that really push hard to make it a single ip. We'll be doing WCCP and standard proxy. But a large number of the clients have hardcoded proxy ips and make it prohibitive to change it to a new address. I want to have a cluster of boxes spread horizontally across the network, but I have what I have.

l4 swich or software based load balancer (we used ultramonkey/lvs for this)

topology looks like this:
                           /- cache0
incoming requests --> lvs -- cache1
                backup lvs \- cacheN

you're limited to the scalability of a single load balancer but if you
have to you can put something huge in that role like an f5. fault
tollerance is achieved through active failover and of course you can
afford to lose cache boxes with only minor or localized consequences as
well...

it's is generally in my experience much easier to achive scalavbility
and fault tollereance though multiple boxes rather than spending in
excess for the the best possbile basket to put all your eggs in.