Re: [squid-users] Newbie question on Squid Reverse Proxy configuration

From: aspasia <aspasia.sf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:26:05 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you so much Michael for the response ...

more response inline:

> You don't do transparent "interception" in a reverse proxy setup, you just
> make the reverse proxy the "public face" of your web site, and it fetches
> content from the appropriate backend / origin servers.

> Have you seen this page?
> http://www.visolve.com/squid/whitepapers/reverseproxy.php

Thanks for clarifying and yes I have seen the above page, and I re-read it
after reviewing your responses back ... I think I just got confused; the
architecture and concept is quite clear to me now ...

The above paper though shows how to configure based upon Squid 2.5; the
examples shown display arguments that do not exist any longer for Squid 2.6.
Would you or anyone happen to know a link or how to configured for Squid
2.6?

I would like to take a stab at configuring according to this setting (but
for Squid 2.6):

"If the real web server runs on a separate machine than the Squid reverse
proxy, edit the following options in the squid.conf file :
http_port 80 # Port of Squid proxy
httpd_accel_host 172.16.1.115 # IP address of web server
httpd_accel_port 80 # Port of web server
httpd_accel_single_host on # Forward uncached requests to single host
httpd_accel_with_proxy on #
httpd_accel_uses_host_header off"

Currently I played with various options within the /etc/squid/squid.conf
file; and when I try to test - point the browser to my SQUID server, I get
the following error:

"ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://qatest1/

The following error was encountered:

    * Access Denied.

      Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed
at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is
incorrect.

Your cache administrator is root."

Thoughts?

thanks in advance,