[squid-users] NTLM IP cache in Squid 2.6

From: Stephen Gallagher <stephen.gallagher_at_oceanfree.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:06:39 +0100

Hi,
We are moving from proxies using Basic auth to a Squid setup with NTLM and
winbind/Samba authenticating against Active Directory controllers.

We have run into the performance problem with NTLM auth requests to the
Windows domain controllers. I think the NTLM IP caching options should help
us here, however we are stuck with using Squid 2.6.STABLE17 for the moment,
due to the SmartFilter content filtering in place which only supports
2.6.STABLE17 as the latest Squid.

I notice that the NTLM IP caching code has been brought into Squid 2.7,
from the Duane Wessels update here,
http://www1.ro.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.7/changesets/11923.patch

This also includes the authenticate_ip_shortcircuit_access which we will
most likely need in order to exclude certain multi-user IPs.

I think that we can apply the original patch by Henrik Nordstom
(http://devel.squid-cache.org/cgi-bin/diff2/ntlm_ip_cache.patch) to our 2.6
version, however it would be useful to have the functionality of the IP
access list that's in 2.7

Just wondering if anyone would know what the chances are of the 2.7 patch
working in 2.6 17 without strange things happening?

Or any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Stephen
Get BT Broadband from only EUR20 per month! Always-on internet
& wireless option - find out more at http://www.btireland.ie/broadband