Re: [squid-users] Problems with ICAP and parent-child configuration

From: Christos Tsantilas <christos_at_chtsanti.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:56:32 -0400 (EDT)

>> I think you can safely ignore this error message.
>>

> Yes but maybe I might have some problems to convince my customer to ignore
> it! :)

This message can appeared when the squid 3.0 shutdown while the ICAP
subsystem shutdown the ICAP services and in this case this message can
ignored.

If you see this message while squid3 is running or while is starting then
it means that the ICAP service did not respond to the ICAP OPTIONS
request, and squid3 will stop use the service and in this case it is
problem.

>> You should upgrade to newer squid3.0 version, a number of bugs has been
>> fixed....
>
> Ok I've done, I've upgradedo to squid 3.0 STABLE8, the latest stable on
> the website and now...I have the same error and a different one more
> annoying.
>
> I have it only if I enable icap on my squid.conf:
>
> FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying.

It is a bug. Are you able to collect some debugging info (core
file/backtrace, logs etc)
There are instruction in squid wiki about sending bug reports:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/TroubleShooting#head-7067fc0034ce967e67911becaabb8c95a34d576d

> This error not seems blocker, but sometimes during the test navigation the
> browser
> tell me that it's not be able to contact the proxy. If I start squid
> without icap, I haven't this problem.
>
> I googled a little and a find two kind of answer: upgrade (mmm in my case
> downgrade) or recompile in this way:
>
> export CFLAGS="-s -DNUMTHREADS=24"
> ulimit -n 4096
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/squid-2.5.STABLE5 --enable-linux-netfilter
> --enable-async-io=24 --enable-underscores '--enable-removal-policies=lru
> heap'
> make -j3 all
> make install
>
> But it was tested on 2.5-STABLE5 version in 2004.
>
> Anyone have seen this errors and have an idea?
>
> Bye
> Daniele

Regards,
     Christos