Re: [squid-users] choice between Inter-Cache Communicating Protocols

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:30:03 +0200

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 7:55 AM, xufeng <xufeng_at_yuanjie.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Recently I am working on building a squid caching hierarchy which would
> accelerate one of my websites.
> I would put up about 6 squid servers.
> As far as I know, there are at lease 2 inter-cache communicating protocols,
> namely ICP and HTCP, also there are cache digests and CARP.
> According to my requirements above (6 squid servers), which inter-cache
> communicating protocol is the better for me?
> Can anybody give me some advice or suggestions, with performance, accuracy
> and speed analysis?
> Thank you in advance.

I understand you're working on a reverse-proxy setup. In such a case I
would recommend you not to do any inter-cache synchronization at all,
since it would add latency to misses, while in your scenario going to
the origin server is not very expensive.
AT MOST you may want to use cache digests, but I wouldn't expect you'd
gain significant performance out of it.

--
 /kinkie