[squid-users] cache_peer and tcp connection failed

From: Ramon Moreno <rammor1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 16:07:19 -0700

Hi Squid Gurus,

Had a quick question on tcp failures with cache_peers and squid.

2008/08/04 13:37:48| TCP connection to 10.1.1.2/80 failed
2008/08/04 13:37:48| Detected REVIVED Parent: 10.1.1.2

Here is my scenario:

I am using squid as a reverse proxy. If my origin misbehaves (response
time starts to slow), squid creates a backlog, and cpu spikes to 100%.
I get the errors above. This every once in a great while, and I
usually have to restart squid to recover.

Questions I have are:

When tcp connections fail to cache peer does squid mark it down for x
amount of time before it retries. If there is a default retry
interval, what is that, and can that be adjusted?

What I am trying to avoid is cache_peer being marked down by squid for
5 seconds, and then resulting in a greater backlog of connections.

My timeout for server side connections is 10 seconds.

I also use the following options as I heard this will help mark things
up a little faster.

 monitorinterval=60 monitorurl=http://mysite/hi.jpg monitortimeout=180
(does changing monitorinterval in 1 second in this scenario help?)

The main goal is to try to get squid to behave as normal as possible,
and recover as fast as possible in the event of a connection backlog.
Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.