Re: [squid-users] binary data in cache.log with squid 3.0

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 01:31:59 +1200

Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães wrote:

> i dont know if this is expected or even desired .... but with squid
> 3.0 i'm getting some log entries that brings lots of binary data to the
> log. This binary stuff makes it impossible, sometimes, to watch logs
> with 'tail -f' or even 'cat'. When binary data is presented, my terminal
> just get completly messed up and i have to disconnect and reconnect to
> the machine.
>
> Logs entries are always 'Unsupported method in request' entries.
>
> i skipped directly from 2.5 to 3.0 ... and never had this kind of
> problem (binary data in cache.log) with squid 2.5. Dont know what would
> be the behavior with 2.6 or 2.7 .....
>
> in squid 3.0 i'm getting something similar to:
>
> 2008/08/05 11:01:32| clientParseRequestMethod: Unsupported method in
> request 'LOOOOTS OF BINARY DATA HERE'
> 2008/08/05 11:01:32| clientProcessRequest: Invalid Request
>
> OK, i know this is an invalid request and, thus, needs to be logged.
> But should binary data be logged to a ascii log file ??? i wasnt
> expecting that ...
>
> i'm seeing this on squid 3.0 stable 8, latest stable code available ...

Oh dear. This is what happens when squid is sent binary data through its
(plain ascii)!! HTTP input.

2.5 ignored binary crap assuming it was HTTP/0.9. 3.0 tries to handle it.

The unsupported method bit is solved in 3-HEAD/3.1.

I've just committed a hack to 3.0 which converts the binary codes to
harmless ascii and truncates the binary stream to something usable.

Amos