Re: [squid-users] can't get squid to cache

From: mc2qcriley <criley_at_siderean.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:22:46 -0700 (PDT)

mc2qcriley wrote:

> Angelo Höngens wrote:
>>
>> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>>> The problem is minimum_expiry_time in your squid.conf:
>>>
>>> minimum_expiry_time 3600 seconds
>>> refresh_pattern . 3600 100% 3600 ignore-no-cache ignore-reload
>>> override-expire override-lastmod
>>>
>>> There is a corner issue with minimum_expiry_time that the expiry time
>>> needs to be 1 second more for the object to be accepted. But I seriously
>>> suspect you have misunderstood the meaning of this directive. Most
>>> likely you want to have it set to 0 or left at the default 60 seconds.
>>>
>>> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/cfgman/minimum_expiry_time.html
>>

>> I guess you're right, I do not know what the minimum_expiry_time means..
>> thanks for the link, but I just got the O'Reilly book by mail, I'm
>> taking it with me on my holiday, so I can read, and git a bit more info
>> about the big picture.
>>
>> Hope to be back on the list in August to come back to this issue. Thank
>> you all for your support so far.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Met vriendelijke groet,
>>
>> Angelo Hongens
>>

> I was having a similar problem and as I look through this message thread,
> don't see that someone else has pointed in the direction of my solution
> so:
>
> My problem was a missing Expires header. This can be added in several
> ways. I add it using a servlet Filter. However, if you are using Apache,
> this link has instructions:
> http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/apache-speed-expires.html
> http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/apache-speed-expires.html .

This is a followup to my previous post. Silly mistake but something to add
to the checklist: permissions. I migrated the apps and Squid to another
Linux server but, in so doing, neglected to check the permissions for the
cache folder. Insufficient permissions prevented squid from writing to
cache. Only hint was the RELEASE msg in the store.log and TCP_MISS in
access.log.