Re: [squid-users] geoblock

From: Stephen Ryan <stephen.ryan_at_corp.aol.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 23:45:15 +0100

Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães wrote:

> Stephen Ryan escreveu:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was hoping to use my squid proxy to watch some live streaming video
>> on the web. Imagine my dismay when I access the stream and found I
>> was 'geo-blocked' :) . Somehow the streaming site site realises my PC
>> is remote, even though my squid proxy is local to the streaming site.
>>
>> Is there a way to use squid to get around my geoblock problem? Would
>> it be something to do with SOCKS and anonymity? (some terms I picked
>> up from incessant googling)
>>

> if remote site detected your 'real' ip address, then you probably
> should look:
>
> # TAG: forwarded_for on|off
> # If set, Squid will include your system's IP address or name
> # in the HTTP requests it forwards.
> [ ...... ]
> #Default:
> # forwarded_for on
>
> in your squid.conf. Setting it to off will make squid stop sending
> your real ip address.

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it didnt solve the problem. Heres an
excerpt from my logs.Somehow the streaming site knew and redirected me
to the geoblock

1218234323.131 472 my.ip.add.ress TCP_MISS/200 938 GET
http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/32gb/rte1-225.smil? - DIRECT/89.207.56.82
application/smil
1218234369.271 34 my.ip.add.ress TCP_MEM_HIT/200 7219 GET
http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/geoblocked_island.gif - NONE/- image/gif

Maybe the streaming site doesnt like "X-Forwarded-For: unknown"....

--
Stephen Ryan
Principal QA Engineer