Re: [squid-users] Using Squid for AUP agreement

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:04:40 -0800

Nick Duda wrote:
> How could I use squid to display some text and prompt users on my network to agree to the text before they can do any kind of browsing. I've been tossing different ideas on how I can get employees within my company to agree to the AUP in a paperless fashion, with having a record that the employee agreed to it.
>
> My long term option will be our current deployment of Cisco NAC (CAM/CAS). The squid solution would be my short term, get it up and going now solution.
>
> - Nick

I have my squid source(2.6STABLE19) in /usr/src/squid. The following
might be of interest..

-bash-3.00$ less
/usr/src/squid/helpers/external_acl/session/squid_session.8
squid_session(8)
squid_session(8)

NAME
       squid_session - Squid session tracking external acl group helper

SYNOPSIS
       squid_session [-t idle_timeout] [-b dbpath] [-a]

DESCRIPTION
       This helper maintains a concept of sessions by monitoring
requests and
       timing out sessions if no requests have been seen for the idle
timeout
       timer.

       Intended use is for displaying "terms of use" pages, ad popups etc.

[SNIP]

I'm not certain if the helper is included with Squid 3 source, but there
is no reason the helper wouldn't work with Squid 3.

Chris