Re: [squid-users] external_acl children...

From: John Doe <jdmls_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:49:12 -0700 (PDT)

> Sort of, you need one helper 'slot' for each concurrent request.
>
> You can increase the number of 'slots' available by increasing the
> number of children/helpers and the number of concurrency=N each can handle.
>
> at concurrency=1 you need 100 children for 100 requests,
> at concurrency=2 you need 50 children for 100 requests
> etc.
>
> This is mitigated further by caching the helper results for TTL=N time.
> But worst-case is still 1 slot per request until the ACL result
> mini-cache finds a duplicate.

Ok, thx.
I first thought squid had buffers (waiting queues) for helpers because of the "up to 1 pending requests queued" and "queue overload" messages.
What do they mean?

Also, what are the "negative lookups" of negative_ttl of external_acl_type?
First I thought they were the ERR results, but apparently not.

I tried some "stress" tests (ab -n 10000 -c 20 http://path/to/image.gif) and get aroung 770req/s.
It seems low for a Xeon 3.40 Ghz with 3GB of RAM (cache_mem 2GB) and 200GB cache_dir on a RAID1 (with the system)... no?
I tried to comment as much params as I could in the conf (removed siblings, store logs, etc) but it does not change anything...
What's a normal number of reqs/s for such config?

Also, while the url_rewrite logs lines would appear 10000 times, I only get like 14 external_acl logs...
First 2 lines, then like 1 every seconds
When I do x wgets, I get x external_acl logs.
I have ttl=0, so it should not be a cache issue.

Thx,
JD