Re: [squid-users] Squid is aborting and restarting its child process very often

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:05:29 +1200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On ons, 2008-08-20 at 14:00 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> Run the latest Squid-3.0 ; PRE5 is old and buggy.
>>
>> Shout at the debian distribution for shipping such an old version.
>
> Nor only old & buggy, also not a stable release for production use only
> a pre-release for early adopter testing.

As I explained to people at the meeting this week, Debian and Ubuntu
policy is to not alter their own stable release short of serious
security bugs.

http://www.debian.org/security/faq#oldversion
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#When

The high-priority security bugs found in squid since PRE5 account for
the five patch releases they have made on the package. It's just missing
countless cleanups, non-security bugs, and features.

But the 'testing' (their RC distribution) release squid is very current,
and should work easily.

Amos