Re: [squid-users] Advantages of Squid

From: Haytham Khouja <haytham_at_khouja.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:37:55 +0300

Dear Kumar,
I've been using Squid in my ISP for the past 2 years, and here are the
advantages:
- Getting a super/kickass hardware with Squid costs 10 times less than
a BlueCoat, so if you have the budget of a BlueCoat, you can get
10xSquids, imagine the things you can do in terms of Load
Balancing/HTPC/ICP/Fail Over so on and so forth.
- In a medium/large ISP (10 000 concurrent to 60 000 concurrent) i
found that 1 machine can handle easily 80-100 Mbit, the more drives
you have on that machine, the more you'll be able to reply fast that's
why i use SAS drives 15 000 RPM. You can also get machines with 16 GB
(or more) of RAM and put all your cache in the RAM, but in this case,
i'll set the largest caching size to be around 1024 KB. Oh and if
you're gonna go above 4GB of RAMs, consider 64bit, actually, it's not
much of a consideration, it's a must.
- You get to learn and know how caching really works, you're not just
configuring a black box from a fancy web page.
- You get to upgrade/patch your system to suit your needs (there are a
few useful patches for Squid out there)

I always promised my self i'd write a good howto for Squid in ISPs,
but i can't find the time..., stick around though, i'm sure i'll do
soon enough.

--
Sincerely,
Haytham EL-KHOUJA