Re: [squid-users] Advantages of Squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 00:32:41 +1200

bijayant kumar wrote:
> Hello to lists,
>
> I was meeting a consultant to an ISP today who plans to implement a caching solution for his network. I guess they are already impressed with Blue Coats which undoubtedly seems to be a very good product which I have not used or seen physically.
>
> Being a staunch believer of Open source (though not very knowledgeable technically), I am convinced that Squid would also nowhere be less than BlueCoats or any other commercial product. I would seek help from friends who have the knowledge, to share the features of Squid in terms of cache management and why Squid may be better that other caching solutions available in the market. It may be noted that the client is not interested to discuss financial advantage but would be more keen to learn about the technical advantages.

To play devils advocate, BlueCoat have had M$ to throw at pure grunt and
streamlining. Squid still lacks a bit of that. Making up for it in a
rich set of control abilities, not to mention your ability to hack a fix
to the code if anything particularly troublesome gets found.

> Any pointers would be highly appreciated. I would love to see squid cluster deployed at a site handling around 10Gbps of traffic.

For Big Users (TM), the the most well known high-bandwidth users of
Squid are ...

Yahoo! ...
   http://www.mnot.net/blog/2007/04/29/squid
(Mark answers most of your questions right there in the blog.)

and Wikipedia ...
   http://www.nedworks.org/~mark/presentations/hd2006/
   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hardware

who even have their cluster configuration out in public:
   http://www.scribd.com/doc/43868/Wikipedia-site-internals-workbook-2007

Amos