Re: [squid-users] help... anyone :-)

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:09:26 -0800

Dedy Kurniawan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 1st of all, i'm sorry before, for posting my current squid condition,
> from how i install to current squid config. Currently i'm having a
> problem with my squid, related to cache. I hope all of my friend here
> could help me. And i hope this thread useful to anyone having trouble
> like mine :-)
>
> ok here we go guys, this is my config:

SNIP
> tcp_outgoing_address 10.5.9.106 typeofclient1
> tcp_outgoing_address 10.5.9.107 typeofclient2

What does the acl typeofclient1 look like?

> ----end config snippet--------------------------------------

SNIP

Lots of good info, but what OS? What kernel?

> root_at_proxy malloc# vi Makefile
> uncomment -> #CPPFLAGS = -DUSG
> root_at_proxy malloc# make
> root_at_proxy malloc# cp libmalloc.a /usr/lib/libgnumalloc.a
> root_at_proxy malloc# cp malloc.h /usr/include/gnumalloc.h

Why do you do this?

> root_at_proxy malloc# vi /etc/security/limits.conf
> * Soft nofile 8192
> * Hard nofile 8192
>
> root_at_proxy malloc# vi /etc/sysctl.conf
> net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 1024 32768
>
> root_at_proxy malloc# cd ../squid_2.5.STABLE14
>

> ------the question -------------
>
> my question is :
>
> 1. i wanna cache big files, example from antivirus update, but when i
> check the log, file like u7avi1363a.bin (6MB size) is always missing
> i even desperately try --------> no_cache allow all

This might be effected by the headers returned with the object. Using
"no_cache allow all" is not recommended with the default
refresh_pattern, due to the likelihood of caching dynamically generated
content.

> 2. i don't know, maybe only my feeling, but why is when the memory is
> runout, i get slow responses from squid. I check it like this
>
> free -m
> root_at_proxy:~# free -m
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 2978 2891 87 0 91 2565
> -/+ buffers/cache: 234 2744
> Swap: 368 0 368
>
> i read hendrik's reply in older thread before, he said that look at
> buffers/cache not the Mem , but why the responses is different after i
> reboot my squid, which will give me free in Mem:
> with this kind of behavior, my squid uptime is always less than 12 hours :((

Perhaps it's related to the malloc libraries you are using... The only
information I could find about libgnumalloc indicates that it's pretty
outdated, which indicates that the underlying OS is... Aging.

> 3. currently i'm running about 15 tcp_outgoing_address so every client
> come out from squid with their ip alias address, so that i can limit
> their bandwidth. is it okay to run so many ip alias in linux, and
> running many tcp_outgoing_address in squid?

I don't know of any reason not to. But for limiting bandwidth,
delay_pools might be a better choice.

> 4. any suggestion for my config? i mean to speed up responses when
> opening a web and to deliver it to clients

Update your Squid version, and perhaps your OS.

> thanks for reading my question, and many thanks for the upcoming answers ;-)

Chris