Re: [squid-users] Getting users logins into access.log using transparent mode. Strange but true.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 13:11:27 +1200 (NZST)

> Hi All,
>
> Firstly I know that you can't use auth (NO WAY UH HUH!) with transparent
> but I am wondering if it possible (even a little bit) to get the browser
> to present usernames in the logs so when we generate reports we can get
> typically "who" went to what site rather than "what" went to this site.
>
> This is for those management type people who don't understand machine or
> IP addresses. They tend to flap arms and make silly noises when
> confronted with IP address information and host names don't seem to help
> the situation...
>
> Other than that Squid 2 is very nice.... :-) thank you for your time...

The best way is to use background WPAD/PAC configuration instead of
transparent interception. That gives you the full benefit of explicit
centralized proxy config.

Failing that, there are a few side-band authentication methods which may
work. Using an external ACL helper to map IP->login and a custom log
format to dump a user= key it returns.

Amos