Re: [squid-users] Parent Proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 01:52:11 +1200

MikeBou wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we are trying to get the squid service on a win2k3 server to authenticate
> users, but pass all web requests to a proxy server running on RH which
> filters everthing through dansguardian. If we set browser config to point to
> the linux box, filtering is successful. If we point the browser to the
> win2k3 box, filtering is unsuccessful. Below is the squid setting for both
> computers.
>
> win2k3 server squid conf file pointing to linux box.
>
> http_port 8080
>
> # ***Name of Server
> visible_hostname (server name)
>
> cache_peer (IP address) parent 8080 0 default no-query

You say this box should be 'pointing' at other box. I assume from the
config you mean 'pointing' to be 'child-of'.

In that case you need the linux box port in the above line:

   cache_peer (IP address of linux box) parent 3128 0 default no-query

also, cache_peer_access allowing requests through the linux peer?
also, never_direct forcing all requests through linux box?

> hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
> acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
> no_cache deny QUERY
> cache_mem 16 MB
> cache_swap_low 95
> cache_swap_high 98
> cache_dir ufs c:/squid/cache 2500 64 512
> cache_access_log c:/squid/log/access.log
> cache_log c:/squid/log/cache.log
> cache_store_log c:/squid/log/store.log
> emulate_httpd_log on
> pid_filename c:/squid/sbin/squid.pid
> debug_options ALL,1
> half_closed_clients off
> client_persistent_connections off
> server_persistent_connections off
> (further configurations follow)
>
> Linux box squid conf file.
>
> http_port 3128
> cache_peer (ip address of external offsite proxy) parent 8080 3130 default
> no-query
> hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
> acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
> no_cache deny QUERY
> cache_mem 16 MB
> cache_swap_low 95
> cache_swap_high 98
> cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 2500 64 512
> cache_access_log /var/log/squid/access.log
> cache_log /var/log/squid/cache.log
> emulate_httpd_log on
> pid_filename /var/run/squid.pid
> debug_options ALL,1