Re: [squid-users] Interception caching problems

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:54:15 +1200

Jason Cosby wrote:
> Well, I solved my DNS problems. BIND was in fact killing squid with it's errors (IPC can be a PITA sometimes). pdnsd is working great.
>
> I have verified that the 3128 redirect command is working. Accessing the server from a Linux client with lynx shows the hits in cache.log. lynx follows the standards. I still do not have IE7 or Firefox hitting the cache, though. I feel a little odd asking this, as I'm positive that there are thousands out there with these two browsers working just fine on redirect, but apparently I need to sniff out every port that either browser ever uses for regular TCP requests and redirect those. Does anyone know what those ports are? I could eventually find out, but it would take a good chunk of time (that I don't have) with tcpdump.

huh? what are you redirecting on? all you need to redirect is web
traffic from a network range of IPs going to a port (80) to catch most
web traffic.

Once thats working you can then go on to catch other common web server
evasion ports (81, 87, 88, 8000, 8080, 8081, 8181, 8888, 3128, 1080, 2080)

Amos