Re: [squid-users] wccp working config example

From: Michael Alger <squid_at_mm.quex.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:15:36 +0800

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 02:25:34AM +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Nuno Silva wrote:
>> And regarding the output of iptables -t filter -L *:
>>
>> iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
>>
>> Should the output be other?
>
> Weird, I'd expect a list same as for the -t nat you gave earlier,
> but never mind. I thought maybe there was a forwarding rule or
> policy blocking things. Since MASQUERADE fixed it, we don't need
> to look any further.

I think the * is spurious. At least, I've never used a wildcard when
getting iptables to list rules, and in fact never considered that it
might support it. Apparently mine doesn't, as I get the same output:

# iptables -t filter -L\*
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

whereas "iptables -t filter -L" works just fine.

$ /sbin/iptables --version
iptables v1.3.6
$ uname -r
2.6.18-6-amd64

Re-reading the posts, I think that asterisk might have been added
originally *just for emphasis*, and wasn't in the actual command.