Re: [squid-users] Cache problem- should i remove the cache In doing so will it be recrated once gain ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 03:12:45 +1200

jmaan_at_nits.ac.in wrote:
> This message has been scanned by IMSS NIT-Silchar
>

> Dear ALL SQUID USERS,
>

> I am not an expert in squid. However I have observed that in my squid
> cache (proxy server) used for students to surf the internet shows very
> little space in the /var partition. It is alwayz almost 93%. That makes
> the squid server diffcult to run too at times.
>
> May I know from you all how to resolve this problem permanently ?

permanent solution, don't store the cache in /var. Use a seperate drive
instead dedicated to the cache data and ensure that cache_dir settings
in squid.conf fit within the nominal drive capacity use.

(If you like symlink the /var/squidcache directory to the second drive)

> Should I delete the squid directory to remove the present cache to remove
> the cache stored in the /var partition. or will it hamper my proxy server
> ?

Yes and yes.
  * Resizing the cache will cause small downtime while removing objects
relative to the amount removed.
  * Moving the cache data will cause small downtime while stopping
squid, moving files, reconfig and starting squid.
  * reconfiguring squid and setting up new empty cache cause small
downtime while doing it and some bandwidth penalty while reloading files
from the net.

It's up to you what is most acceptable and when you do it.