Re: [squid-users] Response on non-existing dns name

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 01:30:48 +1200

Jorge Bastos wrote:
> Hum,
> I use it as transparent, and users don't need to insert the proxy in the
> browser, I simply forward traffic using iptables, so this means that I won't
> be able to, correct?

Well the problem with transparent. Is that you won't by nature usually
get domains that are non-resolvable. The clients browser does all that
before ever sending the request.

Of course you can still get requests where a virus has edited the
clients hosts file, or is sending a request itself directly. Or the
requests where the client can resolve DNS for some weird reason your
proxy can't.

But in general intercepted traffic will all resolve.

Amos