[squid-users] Squid is slow in responding to web page loads

From: Iain Howard <iain.howard_at_kettle.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:46:22 +0100

Hi there,

I am using RHEL 4.7 with Squid 2.5 STABLE14

I have installed and loaded squid the best way I know.

When the client loads google it takes appox 30 seconds before the page
appears. Some other web pages take even longer. Have I done something
wrong?

I am also websense squid intigration but that should not have a baring
on it. Also when I installed squid it placed my squid.conf file in the
following location:
 /usr/local/squid/etc
while the OS version has the squid.conf in this location:
/etc/squid/

Which version runs when the service starts?

Attached is my squid.conf file:

http_port 3128
hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
no_cache deny QUERY
cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/var/cache 100 16 256 cache_access_log
/usr/local/squid/var/logs/access.log
cache_log /usr/local/squid/var/logs/cache.log
dns_nameservers 192.168.5.2 172.16.0.3 172.16.0.4 auth_param basic
children 5 auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours auth_param basic casesensitive
off #Modified by Iain #Does not Parse #auth_param ntlm program
/usr/lib/squid/ntlm_auth KPL/nevada #auth_param ntlm children 5
#auth_param ntlm max_challenge_reuses 0 #auth_param ntlm
max_challenge_lifetime 1 hour
refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255 acl to_localhost dst
127.0.0.0/8 acl SSL_ports port 443 563
acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 563 # https, snews
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
acl 172net src 172.16.0.0/20
acl orkie src 192.168.5.0/24
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
http_access allow 172net
http_access allow orkie
http_access allow localhost
http_access deny all
http_reply_access allow all
http_reply_access allow all
icp_access allow all
cache_effective_user squid
cache_effective_group squid
visible_hostname virginia.kettle.co.uk
httpd_accel_with_proxy off
coredump_dir /usr/local/squid/var/cache

All other setting in squid are defaults.

Thanks for the help

Iain Howard
IT Manager
01337381045
Kettle Produce Ltd

Kettle Produce Ltd by return email. Please note that if you are not
the intended recipient of this email you are prohibited from using,
disclosing,distributing,copying,printing or relying on this email and its attachments.
Please note that Kettle Produce Ltd monitors all email traffic for commercial, legislative & HR purposes.
If your reply is of a personal nature please enter "Private & Confidential" in the subject box.

Unless explicitly stated, this email does not construe a binding agreement or contract.
Kettle Produce Ltd (SC97725) is Registered in Scotland.
Registered Office : Balmalcolm Farm, Cupar Fife KY15 7TJ