Re: [squid-users] Squid is slow in responding to web page loads

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:51:25 +1200

Iain Howard wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am using RHEL 4.7 with Squid 2.5 STABLE14
>
> I have installed and loaded squid the best way I know.
>
> When the client loads google it takes appox 30 seconds before the page
> appears. Some other web pages take even longer. Have I done something
> wrong?
>
> I am also websense squid intigration but that should not have a baring
> on it. Also when I installed squid it placed my squid.conf file in the
> following location:
> /usr/local/squid/etc
> while the OS version has the squid.conf in this location:
> /etc/squid/
>
> Which version runs when the service starts?

When built the binary has hard-coded location of where to check for the
config file. The OS package maintainer has altered these for RH with the
./configure options. Run "squid -v" to see what it was built with or see
the RedHat section of
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/CompilingSquid

  If you are running your custom built binary it will load the one from
where the install process placed it.

There a few things which stand out as possible causes of slow speed.

1) Squid version. 2.5 is very outdated. Since you are building it
yourself you should be able to use a later release. There were big
performance boosts between 2.5 and 2.6.
   http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/

2) DNS delays
  you have hard coded several nameservers. I'm not sure enough of 2.5,
but for all later versions squid can handle resolv.conf properly. If the
initial DNS servers are failing or unavailable, this will cause long
timeouts before the request goes through.

3) ufs file system is quite slow. For Linux systems AUFS is very much
faster.

4) 100 MB of cache while still default in many releases, is quite small
by todays standards for traffic.

Amos