Re: [squid-users] Continue download on timeout?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 01:10:42 +1200

Dmitry Negoda wrote:
> Is there a way to make squid to drop download on timeout, then reconnect and
> continue from the last position? My provider uses a transparent proxy which
> makes connections hang from time to time. While this is not a problem for
> download managers, some applications cannot reconnect and continue on such
> event. The idea in to install squid locally and use squid as download
> manager. I just cannot make it work that way yet...
>
> Thanks.

Squid cannot yet store partial objects. The closest you are going to be
able to configure, is to get Squid always pulling the whole object into
cache and keping it there until the client requests the next piece.

The current releases can easily handle serving partial pieces out of
cache as long as the whole file is there to start with.

I think you will also find that clients which can't send partial ranges
can't handle receiving randomly either.

Amos