RE: [squid-users] Insert Header or Footer into retrieved pages?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 22:25:08 -0600

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 17:20 -0700, Rodre Ghorashi-Zadeh wrote:

> > Squid itself does not alter the data objects passing through.
> > You need Squid-3 with an ICAP server to alter the web content.
> >
> Hello, Thanks for your reply. Will the ICAP server modify the HTML
> content, or just the URL request string? If it is the HTML that is
> modified via the ICAP server, does squid store the modified version or
> the original version of the HTML? Can you recommend an ICAP server
> that runs on Linux? Thanks again.

You need to modify the headers and body of selected HTTP responses. It
is not trivial to do this right, but it is doable, and there are
deployed Squid proxies doing that. For a high-level overview, you may
want to start at http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ContentAdaptation

I believe Squid treats adapted pages as if they come from the origin
server. Thus, Squid should cache cachable adapted responses. How much
additional control you get via Squid ACLs, I do not know. I would not be
surprised if some ACLs are not checked for ICAP responses.

The original response will not be cached if you modify it. Squid ICAP
and eCAP code only support pre-cache response modification.

HTH,

Alex.