Re: [squid-users] help with page faults

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 01:12:18 +1200

Nick Duda wrote:
> What is the best way for me to figure out why every week Squid seems to spike on page faults causing everyone that is using the proxy server to experience slow browsing habits until the squid process is re-cycled. I run SNMP monitoring against squid and use the cacti squid templates so I know when page faults happen.

Quite possibly squid restarting itself after a fatal error. The cache
re-scan and recovery can slow general access down.

Check cache.log around the time of fault. If possible or necessary, you
may need to raise the "debug_options ALL,n" level (n) up as close to 9
as you can for full info on what squid is doing. It may cause very large
logs to accumulate very quickly though.

Amos