RE: [squid-users] auth_param basic children

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 20:29:43 +0200

On tis, 2008-10-07 at 08:19 -0700, Andrew Struiksma wrote:

> OK, but I'm still not 100% when the helper is actually called. Is the
> helper only used when a user is prompted for a password or is there an
> authentication process that takes place for each request?

The helper is called each time Squid sees a new username:password
combination, or if the previous results have expired (auth cache expiry
time is set by auth_param basic credentialsttl=NN parameter, default 2
hours)

> My thought is that our LAN users, since they are never forced to authenticate, are not effected by the children parameter but I wanted to double-check.

If LAN users are allowed access without requesting authentication then
Squid naturally won't query the helpers either as there is no
login:password combination to verify.