RE: [squid-users] auth_param basic children

From: Andrew Struiksma <astruiksma_at_esd189.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 08:19:53 -0700

> When Squid needs to authenticate a user their details are
> passed to the auth helper. It then waits (doing other stuff
> meanwhile) for the helper to send back its result.
>
> There are two things which affect performance.
>
> A) children - number of helpers squid can send data to.
>
> B) helper concurrency - number of requests squid is allowed
> to queue up for a single helper.

OK, but I'm still not 100% when the helper is actually called. Is the helper only used when a user is prompted for a password or is there an authentication process that takes place for each request?

My thought is that our LAN users, since they are never forced to authenticate, are not effected by the children parameter but I wanted to double-check.

Thanks,

Andrew