[squid-users] Re-distributing the cache between multiple servers

From: James Cohen <james.cohen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:39:40 +0100

Hi,

I have two reverse proxy servers using each other as neighbours. The
proxy servers are load balanced (using a "least connections"
algorithm) by a Netscaler upstream of them.

A small amount of URLs account for around 50% or so of the requests.

At the moment there's some imbalance in the hit rates on the two
caches because I brought up server A before server B and it's holding
the majority of the objects which make that 50% of request traffic.

I can see that clearing/expiring both caches should result in an equal
hit rate between the two servers.

Is this the only way of achieving this? I'm concerned now that if I
was to add a third server "C" into the cache pool it'd have an even
lower hit rate than on A or B.

I spent some time searching but wasn't able to find "Squid
administration for dummies" ;)

Thanks,

James