Re: [squid-users] Squid 3 HTTP accelerator not caching content

From: Tom Williams <tomdkat_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:54:55 -0700

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On tis, 2008-10-14 at 09:04 -0700, Tom Williams wrote:
>
>>> Is authentication required to access the server? If so then the server
>>> need to return "Cache-Control: public" on the content which is
>>> non-private and should be cached.
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that such content will be accessible directly from the
>>> cache without using authentication.
>>>

>> Currently, basic authentication is required to access the site. I
>> wasn't aware of "Cache-Control: public" so I'll see about configuring
>> the server to return this. This is a HTTP header, correct?
>>

> It is.
>
> Without it authenticated content is considered private, and not cached
> by shared caches.
>
> With "public" the content is considered public for all to access, not
> really requiring authentication even if the request did include
> authentication.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Ok, I was able to conduct a test using a public page (authentication is
NOT required) and I started seeing SWAPOUT and RELEASE entries in
store.log. So, this confirms it was the authentication that was causing
my problem.

I haven't made the HTTP header change yet but that will happen at some
point. :)

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom