Re: [squid-users] Re:How to increaswe the downloading capacity in my proxy server ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:56:31 +0200

On tis, 2008-10-21 at 13:14 -0400, jmaan_at_nits.ac.in wrote:
> This message has been scanned by IMSS NIT-Silchar
>
> Dear All Squid USERS,
>
> Of late it been realised that many users of our present facilty proxy
> server are complaining that the net accessiblity (downloading speed) has
> become slow.
>
> A few weeks back no one felt so. What could be the possible reason for that ?

There is two common causes

a) Running out of memory causing a lot of swap activity.

b) Disk performance insufficient. Gets noticeable when the cache has
been filled and Squid starts to recycle space. With the ufs family of
cache_dir stores (ufs, aufs, diskd) recycling space is often more costly
than storing...

> Please give me your ideas technically ?
>
> For your information the the downloading speed of the internet link, is
> 2MB ps and the downloading capacity for each faculty is 100MM per 24
> hours.

A 2Mbit link isn't much. So my guess is 'a' above.

> Is it due to the low bandwidth that we are getting form the ISP (Internet
> Service Provider) ?

If the link is oversaturated then performance will obviously be slow..
You should see this in the link statistics (ask your ISP if they have
any, many do).