Re: [squid-users] 2.7 reverse proxy --> compression problems

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:02:20 +0100

On mån, 2008-10-27 at 14:49 +0100, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> I set up a reverse proxy in front to http://www.charite.de (typo3) since it's
> fucking slow. Now it's fast, but SOME (!) users are reporting the sites:
>
> http://www.charite.de/neurologie/
> http://www.charite.de/stoffwechsel-centrum/
> http://www.charite.de/ch/anaest/ards/
> http://www.charite.de/akademie/
> http://www.charite.de/biometrie/de/
>
> as broken. The pictures they sent me look like compressed data instead
> of a page.
>
> I distinctly remember a similar problem with HTTP/1.1 and compression
> and heise.de ---

Apache mod_deflate is broken in many versions, hence the
broken_vary_encoding directive in squid.conf...

It could also be the case that the site doesn't announce Vary at all on
the compressed objects. This is another mod_deflate bug, but can be
worked around easily by Apache configuration forcing the "Vary:
accept-encoding" header to be added on responses processed by
mod_deflate.