Re: [squid-users] squid accelerator always requests peer to refresh

From: Daniel Vollbrecht <d.vollbrecht_at_scram.de>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:26:51 +0100

> Are the dynamically generated pages given proper expiry information?
> (Expires: or Cache-Control: headers)

the dynamically generated page answers with these headers (wget -S):

  Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT
  Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate
  Pragma: no-cache

Should this not be ignored by squid because of my following refresh_pattern setting?

refresh_pattern . 10 80% 30 override-expire override-lastmod ignore-reload ignore-no-cache ignore-no-store ignore-private

> What the TCP_REFRESH_MODIFIED means is that a IMS request was sent to
> verify the data, but the server returned a full object with changes
> instead of a 304.

The problem is that the CMS is old and bit buggy. Therefore the best solution would be if squid would not care about these headers and cache everything up to 30 min under any circumstances (for read-write access we have a separate sub domain, so that would not be the matter).

> You are testing by using the force reload button on the browser right?
> Thats sending a must-revalidate request through to Squid which triggers
> an IMS.

Right, but at the same time also other requests from other clients show this behaviour. Wo do all requests to dynamic web page content give TCP_REFRESH_MODIFIED:FIRST_UP_PARENT, while all requests to gifs etc. geht a TCP_HIT?

Thanks,
Daniel