RE: [squid-users] NTLM Auth and transparently access

From: Alex Huxham <a.huxham_at_wellscs.somerset.sch.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 08:51:54 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: keisuke.hamanaka_at_uniadex.co.jp
[mailto:keisuke.hamanaka_at_uniadex.co.jp]
Sent: 04 November 2008 06:20
To: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
Subject: [squid-users] NTLM Auth and transparently access

Sorry,my English is so poor.

I 'd like to configure Squid working with NTLM AUTH.
Can the clinet which has already logged in Windows' domain access to the
Internet
transparently? Or Is the client be asked Usename and Password again?

=-------------------------------------=

You can run a transparent proxy and authenticate users, it's just not
how it works.

 NTLM is a single-sign-on mechanism if the users are using Windows
machines joined to the same domain squid is joined top, in that sense it
is transparent as they are being authenticated without being prompted.
They only time they will need to authenticate is on non-domain machines,
I.e. Guest laptops, outside visitors etc that use the server.

So in essence to your reply; if the user is on a Windows domain with
Squid running NTLM, they won't get prompted to login

HTH,
Alex