[squid-users] url length limit

From: Gregori Parker <Gregori.Parker_at_theplatform.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 10:23:55 -0800

Hi all - I am using an array of squid servers to accelerate dynamic
content, running 2.6.22 and handling a daily average of about 400
req/sec across the cluster. We operate diskless and enjoy a great hit
rate (>80%) on very short-lived content.

About 50+ times per day, the following appears in my cache.log:

squid[735]: urlParse: URL too large (4738 bytes)
squid[735]: urlParse: URL too large (4470 bytes)
squid[735]: urlParse: URL too large (4765 bytes)

I understand that Squid is configured at compile time to cut off URLs
larger than 4096 bytes, as defined by MAX_URL in src/defines.h, and that
changing this has not been tested. Nevertheless, since I am expecting
very long URLs (all requests are long query strings, responses are
SOAP/XML), and the ones getting cutoff are not severely over the limit,
I would like to explore this change further.

Has anyone redefined MAX_URL in their squid setups? Do these 'URL too
large' requests get logged? If not, is there a way I could get Squid to
tell me what the requests were so that I can verify that we have an
operational need to increase the URL limit?

Thanks in advance