[squid-users] Re: R: [squid-users] Connection to webmail sitesproblem using more than one parent proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 01:29:02 +1300

Sergio wrote:
> Hi Henrik, hi Amos
>
> Now with the last configuration it seems the sourcehas is working corectly.
>
> So this is the final configuration
> cache_peer myparentproxy1.dipvvf.it parent 3128 3130 sourcehash no-query
> cache_peer myparentproxy2.dipvvf.it parent 3128 3130 sourcehash no-query
> cache_peer myparentproxy3.dipvvf.it parent 3128 3130 sourcehash no-query
>

> I still have some questions for you,
>
> 1. In which way does the roundroubin with sourcehash work? I have noted the
> first client requests are sent to the first parentproxy, only after some
> client requests are established with the first, the new ones are sent to the
> second and finally to the third. Is it possible to distribute the
> connections to the parents equally based on the client request? E.g. the
> request of first client send to the first parentproxy, the request of the
> second client to the second parent proxy, the request of the third client to
> the third parent proxy, the request of the fourth client to the first parent
> proxy, the request of the fifth client to the second parent proxy and go on…

They are two very different ways of choosing a peer to send through:

round-robin - rotates through the peers per-request. So first request
goes to first peer, seconds to second peer, etc.

sourcehash - spreads the possible client IPs over the number of
available peers. ensuring an even number of clients go through each
peer, BUT all requests from a single client go through the same peer.

> 2. Does sourcehash work only with no-query option? The no-query option
> disable the icp protocol, doesn’t it?

ICP is yet another very different way of choosing the peer to send
through. It's always on by default so needs to be turned off for the
methods that break with ICP selection.

Amos

--
Please be using