RE: [squid-users] very basic question on enforcing use of proxy

From: Marcel Grandemange <thavinci_at_thavinci.za.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 11:11:34 +0200

>Hi,

>I have a very basic question. I don't even know what to search on for this
question. I have squid installed and >running, but my browser can freely
get out to the internet without going through the proxy. I know about
specifying >the proxy in the browser, but what prevents an unconfigured
browser from going straight out to the internet? Is a >firewall the only
way to prevent this?

>Thanks in advance.

There are MANY ways to do this. The easiest is to do a transparent proxy as
mentioned.
You're other options is to firewall off all traffic trying to reach port 80
directly.
You could also disable NAT altogether if you in corporate environment and
only need web/ftp/ssl access.

Or if you belong to a domain you can create a policy that will set these
settings on all users pc's and not allow them to change it.

Take your epic :>