Re: [squid-users] ICP queries for 'dynamic' urls?

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:39:58 -0900

Gregori Parker wrote:
> I'm curious about this as well - so is the answer that siblings cannot
> be queried for dynamic content and you need to use hierarchy_stoplist to
> keep squid from trying? Or is there a way to get ICP/HTCP to query
> siblings with the entire URI, query arguments and all? I have a very
> similar setup and have been considering eliminating sibling
> relationships altogether because of this...

Way back when the web was young and dynamic content was rare, query
strings just about always indicated personalized, non-cacheable
content. Prior to version 2.7 and 3.1 (I think) Squid, by default did
not even attempt to cache anything with "cgi-bin" or a question mark in
the URL (acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin ?/no_cache deny QUERY). Since
this content was not cached, there was no reason to check if it is
cached on siblings (hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?).

If you are using the now recommended refresh_pattern (refresh_pattern -i
(/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0 ), dynamic content that provides freshness
information can be cached (and that which doesn't, will not be) so
removing the default hierarchy_stoplist might net you a few more hits.

Hope that clears it up.

Chris