Re: [squid-users] Change squid binary in flight

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 23:51:50 +0100

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Lluis Ribes <lribes_at_lavinia.tc> wrote:
> Dear Squid Folks,
>
> I have a Squid 3.0Stable1 running in a server. This version was installed
> with apt-get Debian package utility. So, it has worked fine until now, where
> I have file descriptor problems.
>
> I saw that my installation has 1024 files as max_filedescriptor, I think not
> much. I want to change it, but the parameter max_filedescriptor in
> squid.conf doesn't work (I receive an error message about unknown
> parameter).

Are you sure? It may be a runtime limitation; please check that
there's a 'ulimit -n 8192' line in the squid startup script (replace
8192 with your desired limit).

> So, I think thah the only way is recompile with file_descriptor flag:
>
> ./configure --with-filedescriptors=8192 --prefix=/opt/squid --with-openssl
> --enable-ssl --disable-internal-dns --enable-async-io
> --enable-storeio=ufs,diskd
>
> Ok, I compiled Squid 3.0Stable10. So my question is:
>
> Could I replace directly the binary that it was generated by my compilation
> process and located in $SQUID_SOURCE/src/squid with my debian binary version
> that it's running nowadays? I have to avoid lost of service of my web.

the debian package may have different configure options; if you miss
some configuration option your configuration file may be incompatible
with your new binary.
you may want to run 'squid -v' to check that your new configure
options are compatible with the previous ones.

You may also want to keep your old binary around, to be able to roll
back in case of problems.

--
    /kinkie