Re: [squid-users] Recommended Store Size

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:13:41 -0900

Nyamul Hassan wrote:
> Thx Chris. Cost of hardware does not become a big factor here, as it
> is directly related to the amount of BW that we save, and also the
> customer experience of getting pages faster from the cache.
>
> After looking many of the threads here, I've found that some guys are
> using cache stores measured in terabytes. I was wondering if a bigger
> store was going to improve the "byte hit ratio", which seems to give
> the idea of how much BW was saved.

It won't reduce it. :o) If you want to increase the byte hit ratio
change your cache_replacement_policy to "heap LFUDA" and increase your
maximum_object_size. Be sure your squid is compiled with the
"--enable-removal-policies=" option specifying heap as one of the
choices. My compilation options are below...

-bash-3.2$ /usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -v
Squid Cache: Version 2.7.STABLE5
configure options: '--enable-stacktraces' '--enable-snmp'
'--enable-removal-policies=heap,lru' '--enable-storeio=aufs,null,ufs'
'--with-pthreads' '--enable-err-languages=English'

> If I wanted to increase my store size by adding a JBOD of 12 disks
> using eSATA, and put another 12 x 160 GB sata disks, and also putting
> 130GB on each disk, making a total 2 TB cache store, would that
> improve the hit ratio?

Be aware. For each TB of disk space, you might need up to 10GB of RAM
to track the objects. I'm pretty sure that calculation is based on a
20KB (or so) mean object size, but it's something to keep in mind.
Don't go all-out on increasing the storage size without keeping an eye
on the associated memory usage.

> I understand that patterns of user behavior greatly changes the "hit
> ratio", as we ourselves see it drop during off-peak hours (late into
> the night), as users who are online probably visit more and more
> diverse web content. I just wanted to check how all the guys out here
> who are using Squid as a "forward proxy" are doing in terms of saving
> BW, and for "regular broadband internet users", how much BW they were
> saving with how big of a cache store.

As for myself, I currently have one main cache with 8GB of RAM and
~720GB of store dir (180GB on 4 Seagate ST3500320AS spindles, 630GB
used). The Squid process size is 3.8GB (according to top). I "suffer"
a pretty serious 50% wait state and load spikes above 8, but my hit
response time is sub 30ms under peak load (misses hover around 120ms).
On a typical weekday my cache passes around 150GB of traffic to clients,
and about 10GB each day of the weekend, for a weekly total of just under
800GB of traffic per week. Using heap LFUDA for my
cache_replacement_policy with a maximum object size of 1GB I saw a 25%
request hit rate and 24% byte hit rate on yesterday's traffic. Friday's
traffic was at 25% and 21% respectively, and seems more typical.

> Thanks once again for your response, and hope you and the guys running
> squid as I am would share some of their experiences.
>
> Regards
> HASSAN

Chris