Re: [squid-users] squid and http 1.0 VS. http 1.1

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 15:51:47 +0100

On 27.11.08 15:02, Joar Jegleim wrote:
> I've been debugging a problem with a soap app (cognos planning) which
> brakes when being run through our squid 3.0 proxy .

> After tcpdumping the whole session and investigating with wireshark it
> seems to me that the following happens
> 1. client performs a 'GET' in HTTP 1.1 to the proxy
> 2. the proxy then performs this GET against the app server, but now it's
> in HTTP 1.0

Yes, because squid only supports HTTP/1.0

> 3. the app server replies in HTTP 1.1 which in turn squid

The application is broken, because it must not answer in HTTP/1.1 for
HTTP/1.0 request

> 2.: I thought by configuring squid to 'always_direct' sessions to the
> app server that squid is transparent in between the client and the app
> server. As of now it seems to me that, even with bypassing squid, squid
> fiddles with the HTTP version in the GET's being performed resulting in
> the application breaking. E.G. to make this work the application must
> be rewritten to support giving 'content length' in those GET's where
> squid gives a 411

you aren't bypassing squid with always_direct. the always_direct is SQUID
directive not to use any parent proxies, but the squid is already processing
the request.

then used against you.