Re: [squid-users] Can squid acted as a application SSL proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:15:29 +1300

李春 wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
>> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:19:36 +1300
>> From: squid3_at_treenet.co.nz
>> To: chunli5ren_at_hotmail.com
>> CC: uhlar_at_fantomas.sk; squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
>> Subject: Re: [squid-users] Can squid acted as a application SSL proxy
>>
>> 李春 wrote:
>>> Thanks for you help.
>>> But I am sorry you may mistook my meaning entirely.
>>> I do not need the http proxy and cache functionality of squid.
>>> I just wander that if the squid can receive the client SSL connetion( or packages)
>>> , decode it and tranfer the data with no SSL to the server as a transparent layer.
>>> squid using SSL may be like this:
>>> --------
>>> http data
>>> --------
>>> SSL
>>> --------
>>> TCP/IP
>>> --------
>>> But I wonder if the squid can act like this
>>> --------
>>> my application data
>>> --------
>>> SSL
>>> --------
>>> TCP/IP
>>> --------
>>> Thanks very much.
>>> yours,
>>> Pickup.Li
>>>
>> You seem to misunderstand the network layering concept.
>>
>> You want something that connects to clients using HTTPS (HTTP/SSL) and
>> connects them to your application using plain HTTP?
>>
>> The name for such configuration is "reverse proxy".
>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy
>>
>> Only the front listening port is configured with https_port instead of
>> http_port.
>>
> Yes. I want to build ReverseProxy of squid.
> And I have manage to build it with "https_port" in my environment.
> But my client is not web explorer but a application.

No problem as long as your application speaks proper HTTP. If it speaks
another protocol it should not being going through Squid.

>> caching is optional.
>>
>> The action of wrapping/unwrapping SSL requires proxy of some type,
>> sometimes called tunnel agents.
>>
> Yes. You get it. I just want the "wrapping/unwrapping SSL requires proxy"
> and wander if squid can be configuratured as it.
> if any other exist open source project major in it, Please let me know.
> I am very appreciated for your help.

"stunnel" may also apply. It's a generic tunnel creator though so I
don't know if its applies as a general receiving agent.

Amos

--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.2