RE: [squid-users] errors while opening sites

From: Sameer Shinde <s2sameer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:47:05 +0000

Dear Amos,

Thanks for the reply.
We are using the same DNS servers for our existing proxy server which is ISA2000 & is working properly without any problems.
We want to shift from MS-ISA2000 proxy server to Linux Squid proxy server, so we are building up this new proxy server.

More over if I access the internet from the Ubuntu proxy server itself, we don't get any such errors.

Can you / anyone let me know how can we resolve these issue.
Also for your information that, so far ubuntu server is just a member server in our enviornment & there is no DNS server configured in Ubuntu server.
May be this will help you for finding some outputs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks & Regards,
Sameer Shinde.
Sr. Customer Support Engineer,
Email:- s2sameer_at_hotmail.com
M:- +91 98204 61580
http://www.geocities.com/s9sameer
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

> Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 23:19:58 +1300
> From: squid3_at_treenet.co.nz
> To: s2sameer_at_hotmail.com
> CC: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
> Subject: Re: [squid-users] errors while opening sites
>
> Sameer Shinde wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I've installed squid 2.6 installed on my ubuntu8.0.4 server. I'm getting errors like attached one frequently.
>> It says, "Unable to determine the IP address from host name "anything", but after some time say even after 5 mins the same
>> page / site opens. I'm not able to figure out why is this happening.
>> The error appears for any domain & is not particular to any domain.
>>
>> Can anyone help me out in this.
>> I'm not able to bring the server in live mode due to this problem.
>
> The DNS server being used by your system for lookups is having major
> problems.
> You will need to do some serious debugging to find out why. Things to
> look for are DNS server overload, traffic congestion, lack of recursive
> queries, etc.
>
> Amos

>> Error Message:
>> The requested URL could not be retrieved.
>> While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.squidguard.org/Doc/install.html
>>
>> The following error was encountered:
>> Unable to determine IP address from the host name for www.squidguard.org
>>
>> The dnsserver returned:
>> Refused: The name server refuses to perform the specified operation.
>>
>> This means that:
>> The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
>> Check if the address is correct.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Thanks & Regards,
>> Sameer Shinde.
>> Sr. Customer Support Engineer,
>> Email:- s2sameer_at_hotmail.com
>> M:- +91 98204 61580
>> http://www.geocities.com/s9sameer
>> If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

>> Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail.
>> http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_access_112008
>

> --
> Please be using
> Current Stable Squid 2.7.STABLE5 or 3.0.STABLE10
> Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.2

Get more done, have more fun, and stay more connected with Windows Mobile®.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119642556/direct/01/