Re: [squid-users] outside squid link overload.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 16:38:35 +1300

Alexey Kovrizhnykh wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
> Thanks for answer.
> Your method doesn't help...
> I do not restrict my customers anywhere on the network.

quick_abort_* and range-offset_* settings have nothing to do with access
restriction in the network.

They prevent squid from pre/post-fetching more content from the Internet
than clients have asked for. saving you from clients who start a
downloads then abort it before finishing.

Try Henrik suggestion, its the most likely fix to bandwidth blowout.

> Traffic increases after I shift traffic through squid.
> From router to Squid:
> 30 second input rate 1980000 bits/sec, 399 packets/sec
> From Squid to router:
> 30 second output rate 2164000 bits/sec, 381 packets/sec
>
> No wccp, no gre is used (if it could be headers...)
> ---
> Alexey Kovrizhnykh
> Senior IT manager

Hang on a second. What is your network topology?

  clients -> squid -> router -> internet

(expect the router web traffic to decrease by 30%-50% as squid saves
bandwidth)

OR:
   clients -> router -> squid -> internet

(expect some increase as clients get traffic faster, even as internet
usage decreases)

OR:

clients -> router 1 -> squid -> router 2 -> internet

(expect each router to experience one of the above scenarios)

OR:

clients -> router -> internet
            | \
            squid >

  (expect the router traffic to increase by 70%-100% as all traffic is
now going through the router twice. but Internet bound traffic to
decrease. inline with combining both of the first two scenarios in oen
router.)

Amos

--
Please be using