Re[2]: [squid-users] outside squid link overload.

From: Alexey Kovrizhnykh <alexey_at_star-cell.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:56:01 +0700

Hi Amos,

I meant "I do not restrict my customers' bandwidth anywhere".
I already added Henrik's suggestions to config. But still i get
traffic increase.
Right now I am running squid-3.0.STABLE10.

My topology is:

Clients-router-Internet

        Squid

And i get increase on a router-internet link.
The statistics I've sent is captured on router-squid link. It shows
that Squid gets more from internet then gives:
>> From router to Squid:
>> 30 second input rate 1980000 bits/sec, 399 packets/sec
>> From Squid to router:
>> 30 second output rate 2164000 bits/sec, 381 packets/sec
I am definitely sure that Squid sucks more from Internet then gives to
customers.
At the moment I am trying to change a topology and to use
delay-pools... Hope it will save me :)
Thanks for replies!

---
Alexey Kovrizhnykh
Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 10:38:35 AM, you wrote:
> Alexey Kovrizhnykh wrote:
>> Hi Henrik,
>>  Thanks for answer.
>>  Your method doesn't help...
>>  I do not restrict my customers anywhere on the network.
> quick_abort_* and range-offset_* settings have nothing to do with access
> restriction in the network.
> They prevent squid from pre/post-fetching more content from the Internet
> than clients have asked for. saving you from clients who start a
> downloads then abort it before finishing.
> Try Henrik suggestion, its the most likely fix to bandwidth blowout.
>>  Traffic increases after I shift traffic through squid.
>> From router to Squid:
>> 30 second input rate 1980000 bits/sec, 399 packets/sec
>> From Squid to router:
>> 30 second output rate 2164000 bits/sec, 381 packets/sec
>> No wccp, no gre is used (if it could be headers...)
>> ---
>> Alexey Kovrizhnykh
>> Senior IT manager
> Hang on a second. What is your network topology?
>   clients -> squid -> router -> internet
> (expect the router web traffic to decrease by 30%-50% as squid saves
> bandwidth)
> OR:
>    clients -> router -> squid -> internet
> (expect some increase as clients get traffic faster, even as internet
> usage decreases)
> OR:
clients ->> router 1 -> squid -> router 2 -> internet
> (expect each router to experience one of the above scenarios)
> OR:
clients ->> router -> internet
>             |    \
>             squid >
>   (expect the router traffic to increase by 70%-100% as all traffic is
> now going through the router twice. but Internet bound traffic to
> decrease. inline with combining both of the first two scenarios in oen
> router.)
> Amos
>>
>> Adress: #173, St. 215 (Jawaharlal Nehru), Sangkat Phsar Doeum Kor,
>> Khan Tuol Kork, Phnom Penh, Kingdom of Cambodia.
>> Mobile number:  + (855) 98 713 013
>> Fixed Telephone number.:    + (855) 98 202 401; 23 888898
>> Fax number :    + (855) 98 202 098
>> Website:   www.star-cell.net
>> Sunday, November 30, 2008, 9:26:28 PM, you wrote:
>>> "unless the old part is already loaded by the user?
>>> Squid only buffers a small amount (16KB) plus the TCP window buffering
>>> done by the OS.
>>> It's hard to say exactly what is your problem without looking into the
>>> details of the traffic you see. As others already mentioned it may be as
>>> simple as incorrect quick_abort or range_offset_limit settings, or even
>>> some bug in the very old version of Squid you are using.
>>> Try the following:
>>> quick_abort_min 0 KB
>>> quick_abort_max 0 KB
>>> range_offset_limit 0 KB