Re: [squid-users] Internet facing proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 02:19:54 +1300

cabletastic wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have a setup I am close (but no cigar) to getting working. I would like an
> Active Directory authenticated inbound proxy to pass authenticated requests
> to our anti-virus subscription server internally. My setup 'works' to this
> degree - I can connect to the proxy on the port I designated at
> avtest.domain.com, it then prompts me for AD credentials and this works all
> fine. However when it then goes to avupdate.domain.com it goes back out on
> to the internet and loops back into the firewall to get to the address
> (proxy and update server are obviously on same network....) despite the
> proxy having an internal link and internal DNS to the update server. So -
> what I actually want is that I connect over the net to the proxy,
> authenticate with AD credentials and the server then acts as a true inbound
> proxy and takes me to the internal address of the avupdate.domain.com server
> instead of looping back out to get to it over an internet connection. I
> could of course cheat and modify my firewall rule to only allow traffic from
> said proxy's external address but I would really rather do this the correct
> way.
> Hope this makes sense as it does seem somewhat rambling!
> Cheers
> Si

Please read the documentation on correctly configuring "Reverse Proxy"
at http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy
under "How do I set it up?"

With correctly configured cache_peer lines, DNS never becomes involved
and all requests go to the pre-configured internal servers just fine.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.2 or 3.0.STABLE11-RC1