[squid-users] Internet facing proxy

From: cabletastic <simon.powell_at_fmi.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 04:28:39 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,
I have a setup I am close (but no cigar) to getting working. I would like an
Active Directory authenticated inbound proxy to pass authenticated requests
to our anti-virus subscription server internally. My setup 'works' to this
degree - I can connect to the proxy on the port I designated at
avtest.domain.com, it then prompts me for AD credentials and this works all
fine. However when it then goes to avupdate.domain.com it goes back out on
to the internet and loops back into the firewall to get to the address
(proxy and update server are obviously on same network....) despite the
proxy having an internal link and internal DNS to the update server. So -
what I actually want is that I connect over the net to the proxy,
authenticate with AD credentials and the server then acts as a true inbound
proxy and takes me to the internal address of the avupdate.domain.com server
instead of looping back out to get to it over an internet connection. I
could of course cheat and modify my firewall rule to only allow traffic from
said proxy's external address but I would really rather do this the correct
way.
Hope this makes sense as it does seem somewhat rambling!
Cheers
Si